Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) is the simplest secondary monatomic aliphatic alcohol.
Isopropanol is in demand in the chemical, petroleum, medicine, paint and varnish, furniture, food, wood chemical, and perfume industries, as it is a good solvent for many essential oils, waxes, esters, alkaloids and synthetic resins.
Himtek Engineering JSC has developed technology for obtaining isopropyl alcohol by propylene hydration on an Amberlyst type strongly acidic sulfo cationic catalyst. The technology makes it possible to obtain "Industrial" grade IPA with a concentration of at least 87%, with the possibility of achieving concentration up to "Absolute" grade (99.7%).
- Liquid phase IPA synthesis by propylene hydration on a strongly acidic sulfo cationic catalyst at 6-7 MPa, 120-160C.
- Neutralisation of the reaction mixture up to pH=7.5.
- Extraction of Industrial grade IPA by rectification.
The technology allows for the use of propane-propylene fraction with 80% propylene content.
Advantages of the technology
- High specific capacity of the reactor.
- High selectivity and IPA output.
- Himtek Engineering JSC completed an IPA production project with a capacity of 30,000 tonnes per year.