N,N-dimethylaminoethyl acrylate (DMAEA) and (2-acryloyloxyethyl) trimethyl ammonium chloride (DMAEA-quat) are cationic acrylic monomers which have become widely used in the production of flocculants for wastewater treatment, as well as in mining, pulp and paper, textile industries and oil production. Himtek Engineering has developed a technology for obtaining DMAEA by transesterification of methyl acrylate with N,N-dimethylethanolamine in the presence of a homogeneous Ti-based catalyst, as well as DMAEA-quat DMAEA quaternised with methyl chloride. The quality of the monomers complies with world standards.
- preparation of a Ti-based catalyst, drying of raw materials;
- ester synthesis in a cascade of reaction-separation type reactors at 120 °Ñ;
- separation of the reaction mixture, catalyst regeneration;
- separation of pure DMAEA;
- DMAEA quaternised with methyl chloride at 60 °Ñ and 0.4 MPa.
The production process is protected by patent of the Russian Federation No. 2497802 of 10.11.2013.
Advantages of the technology
High specific capacity, simple reactor unit design, high selectivity for the end products and safety.
Complete pre-design study of the creation of a production complex for DMAEA-quat with a capacity of 10,000 tonnes per year.